Thursday, August 29, 2013

Keeping Up The Good Work

I was really good yesterday evening, and resisted looking at the 'bargains' in the reduced chiller while I was out at knitting. Consequently, I'm making inroads into the perishables and I'm starting to feel a bit less overwhelmed. The next step has to be making lists and sticking to them, but I'm not sure I'm ready for that yet! It will be good discipline to focus on that when I'm back to work next week as menu planning to maintain my sanity and minimise the number of takeaways was one of the prime objectives of Project Better.

In the meantime, I'm continuing with the declutter of the spare room. Last night I sold an over-locker that I have had since my mum died in 1995. I have never used it, but it has been eating shelf space since then 'just in case'. Just in case what? I have never found the need to over-lock anything in the last 18 years. When is it going to happen? Time to let it go and add the proceeds to the Shed Fund tin. Another tenner and another empty box was contributed by selling a heat reflector from our days of keeping larger lizards. I listed it on a local animal group page on Facebook and could have sold it three times over.

These are resources I had never considered and will remember as I get deeper into the spare room.

I feel better about things not ending up in the NON-REYCLABLE WASTE skips at the recycling centre too. I would never have considered giving things like vivarium paraphernalia to a charity shop, so that's what would have happened to it.

On the Better menu today:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Fridge veggie drawer soup

Carrots, chopped

1/2 a swede, chopped

1 slightly wizened leek, washed and sliced

2 potatoes, chopped

2 vegetable stock cubes

Quite a lot of black pepper

Water

Bring to boil, simmer until all the veggies are cooked and softening. Blitz with stick blender.

Serve with the leftover salad croutons lurking in the cupboard.

No comments: