Saturday, September 30, 2006

Now Autumn's fire burns slowly along the woods

and day by day the dead leaves fall and melt.
William Allingham

There's a definite hint of Autumn in the air here.



We've had mist and cold and then bright sunshine and T shirts out again. I love Autumn, it's my favourite season and I was bitterly disappointed when we didn't really get one last year. One day it was Summer, the next it was Winter. Hope that doesn't happen again this year. J is outside wondering if this is the last cut for the lawn. Probably not.



The big specimen grasses really earn their keep at this time of year when so many other things in the garden are overblown or turning brown. Can't remember the name of this one, but it's something Sinensis - Chinese.
~~~~

I got my Sockwars Socks off to Kelly this week.. All I can do now is rely on the post to New Orleans being faster than the post from South Africa.



I frogged the original Twinkletoes socks as the hand was too thick and stiff and went with Motherlode in Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sport. DK still feels too thick for socks, in my humble opinion. Maybe Kelly can wear them with clogs.

~~~
Collected a lovely surprise from the post office this morning: my International Scarf Exchange pal's package. Michelle is faster than I am - probably due to the frogging of my original SockWars sock.

In the package was a lovely alpaca(?) scarf in purple and black. Michelle, from Colorado, says this is her first lace project. You'd never guess, it's lovely. Also in the package was a complete winter survival kit: chocolates, crackerjack, biscuits, coffee, an insulated mug, a handy tool 'for getting small boys out of horses' hooves' (as a friend describes the Leatherman range!) and a gorgeous skein of Socks that Rock yarn in merino. What an amazing ISE pal Michelle is!





Sockwars out of the way, I can now get the fringe finished on my pal's scarf and get it in the post.

2 comments:

rho said...

What a super scarf exchange gift -- that is one reason I don't sign up for any of these - everyone is so smart with ideas and I would be floundering around months later trying to come up with something cool to send.

Today was a super fall day here too - my absolute favorite time of year. I hope it lasts for awhile too.

Michelle in Colorado Springs said...

The scarf is alpaca and is hand wash. Sorry, I forgot to mention it. I am glad you like everthing.