Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Work gets in the way of wool

Gratuitous picture of Little Red Rubster, my niece, to kick off with. No reason, other than she's wonderful. The youngest in our family by 14 years!



My World Cup knitting had to take a back seat last night due to a pile of reading comprehensions. It's the end of year tests for the Year 3,4 and 5 students so it's all hands on deck to get all the papers marked before the data clerk comes in to process all the marks. School leadership is all about data at this time of year. When I was a child the summer term seemed to be all about sports days and concerts and daisy chains and trips. How things have changed. I see more stress related illness and teachers in tears during the summer term than any other time of year. My job is a combination of Mum and team captain at the moment - making sure we address the core business of school whilst making sure all my bairns (colleagues, not students) are ok. Weird age dynamic in our school. At 43, there's only the boss older than me - he's 60 and the next colleague is in her early 30s.

I'm stash enhancing in preparation for the summer holidays. I'm planning to make Bombshell from BGK, having joined the Yahoo group and I can't get the specified yarn (Lorna's Laces Lion and Lamb), which is a shame because it looks lovely. But boy, is that stuff pricey!
Anyway, I'm going to use Debbie Bliss Cotton Angora in this nice sludgey mint colour.



Yes, it's green and I don't really do green, but I liked this. And this:



It's Moiselle, by Wendy and is a mix of a thick wool single and a shiny ribbon yarn. Comes in some lovely colours, including greens :)

We're trying to find out what this is. Any ideas?



The leaves look like aquilegias, but the flower was a surprise. We gathered the seed last year, but can't remember from what or where. Doh!

We're pleased that our white tradescantia is flowering now. Looked a bit wrinkly and sad a couple of weeks ago and we were worried about some kind of blight.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Get Knitted (www.getknitted.com) in Bristol do Lornas Laces Lion and Lamb, as far as I know, try them?
But the Debbie Bliss looks lovely also!
Your Secret Pal

Mully Nex said...

The Debbie Bliss minty green is a great colour - be prepared for shedding though. Honestly, I'm not sure why mine shedded so much but I was a green fluffball by the end of each night knitting, it drove me slightly crazy.

My mother spent each morning after I'd stayed there knitting (to avoid the cat) hoovering up the fluff!

I finished the neck at 1:30am this morning, now to weave in the ends. Pics of the finished Bombshell will go up tomorrow =D