Saturday, August 23, 2008

Harlow Carr



J and I drove down to Harlow Carr, the Royal Horticultural Society's Northern outpost in Harrogate.

We knew we were taking a chance with the weather, but had become a bit stir crazy. Unfortunately, it was Pirate Day - part of Family Fortnight. Now, don't get me wrong; we have nothing against families. We have one of our own. It's good to see children enjoying the gardens, but we'd rather they enjoyed the gardens when we weren't there. (Enjoying = screaming, hitting trees with cutlasses, running around the coffee shops shouting and crying and smearing ice cream, being accompanied by ineffectual parents with no parenting skills or ability to cope with their own children)

It did rain to start with.



We sheltered in a greenhouse full of half-ripe tomatoes until it passed. If it had gone on for any length of time we could have survived by making chutney and living off that.

The rain passed and we enjoyed the walk through the woods, despite some minor trench foot.

1 comment:

PetalDuster said...

I love Harlow Carr, there are few nicer places to take a stroll. The gift shop is fantastic too - they sell these little hand-painted ceramic buttons for about £1.30 each which my Mum collected for me until I had enough to decorate two new cushions covers (a passion of mine). They now adorn my new bed and are a constant reminder of home.