Thursday, April 05, 2012

Oh well, a touch of grey

I'm deciding to 'transition'.

Actually, life is one long transition, isn't it?

I've discovered that this is a term for the process of deciding to give up dying my hair and go grey. I may have actually gone grey years ago. My brother has had greyish bits since his 20's. I have dyed my hair assorted colours since I was about 14. I have no idea what my natural hair looks like.

Recently, though, I've decided the reddish brown I've been using for years doesn't work with my skin tone any more. I feel that I've started to look like Hilary Devey. Don't get me wrong, I love the woman. She's amazing. But she makes no pretense that that is her own hair. Then I was sitting in a meeting at work and one of the other women there had really solid, unnaturally dark brown hair. It really didn't work with her age or colouring - and it could be me.

I had the reddish brown dye removed, which left me with light gingery hair and lots of grey sprinkles. Then I had it all covered with a light ash semi-permanent colour, which will tone down the red and make the first growing out bits easier, apparently. The colour works better with my skin, but there is still a lot of grey at the roots. 

So, I'm transitioning. Real photos when I can get j to hover above me with a camera. In the meantime, this is how I will be seeing myself:


No comments: