Saturday, October 11, 2008

Family Pride

Last weekend was one of the biggest sporting events in our region - the Great North Run. Now, I don't run, but my brother took part and his wife daughter and I were the support team.



I've watched it on TV each year since it began, but have never been up to Newcastle for the event before. What an amazing atmosphere! I had no idea so many people would be there.
We drove up to Newcastle and I was very proud of the way I managed to navigate the closed roads and diversions and still find a free parking space on the edge of the Town Moor so we could walk down to the start.




P ran for Christian Aid (and we are very proud of the money he raised) and most of the runners seemed to be carrying sponsorship for good causes. We had an emotional moment before the start as the radio DJ was reading out some of the stories behind people's reasons for running and fundraising - and by the time they played Abide With Me I, was in tears.



We drove to South Shields for the finish and watched the Red Arrows display, before managing to find P in the crowds.



Well done, P! I'm very proud of you!

1 comment:

iwishiwas said...

Well done to all those who ran and raised funds, including my little sis. Maybe next year for me...seriously. Some great photos.