Saturday, March 20, 2010

Pre-op diet

Well, after what seems like an eternity of waiting, I’m nearly there. The pre-op, liver-shrinking diet starts today. This makes the surgery feel real.

There are lots of stories around about people’s quest to eat their ‘last’ of everything: last Big Mac, last chocolate, last… whatever. I debated this. Even sent W a text asking what she was going to eat last night.When I got home from work J and j offered to take me out or get takeaway, but I settled for a salad and some oven chips. I was planning a couple of glasses of wine, but I was so exhausted I fell asleep in front of the TV instead.

So, no last blow-out for me. I think I was worried that I might trigger a binge or overeating. I was also thinking I didn’t want to cancel out any of the benefits of the pre-op diet.

All this sounds a bit pious, I guess, but I think it’s not really about self-denial, but more about acceptance. I’m more comfortable with food now than I ever have been. Nothing is banned. There’s just some things I choose not to eat today. 12 step principles?

So, this week I will mostly be eating:

2 pints of milk
2 Muller light yoghurts
4 pieces of fruit
Unlimited water

each day

No comments: