Monday, August 22, 2011

Up the Creek.

When I was a child, in the 1970s, there was the last vestiges of a community of houseboats down on Greatham Creek. My Grandad's uncle used to have one - probably in th 1920's, so it was a well-established little place. Most of the homes were swept away by a violent storm in the 1950's, tearing apart the community. After that, most of them were used only as holiday cottages. There are only the remains of the wooden footings visible now.

I was trying to find some information about them when I came across this amazing exhibition. I really didn't know anything about Ian Macdonald, peviously, but his work is stunning.

Yesterday, J and I went for a walk along the creek to see the colony of common seals that has made the area it's home now.

My pictures aren't in his league, but it was an interesting walk.



Meadow Brown butterfly, probably a female.


The Creek towards Greatham.


The view back over Seals Sands petrochemical plants.


Seals with the Transporter Bridge in the background.




Wooden footings of the houseboats still visible.




No comments: