Friday, May 19, 2006

Mmmm Friday.

No court today so I've been back to work. It was nice to swap the agonising sitting around for my normal routine. Jury service hasn't been what I expected it to be. It feels like being delayed at a small airport for a cheap package flight. All without the benefits of duty free shopping or access to a Starbucks. My whole body aches from sitting on poorly designed seats for so long and there isn't anything I don't know about the lives of so-called celebrities from the magazines they provide. Trouble is, I don't know who most of them are.

We have had some really bizarre weather lately - last night it was 21 degrees C and then started to rain, a gale blew up and then hailstones 1cm across followed by torrential rain. The garden has really taken a battering, but I nipped out this evening to try to capture some of the springy lovliness.

The aliums are starting to flower. Their huge purple pompom heads are great gardening value as they last late into the summer and then we leave the seed heads on until after the first frosts.



The dwarf acer on the corner of the deck is coming into its own too - pity the day had got a little gloomy when I took this shot as the sunlight through the leaves lights up all the red tones.



More purple: these aquilegias are from some seed we gathered on a garden visit last summer. Probably the Walled Garden at Helmsley.



The knitting is coming on slowly this week. The artificial light in the jury waiting room is hard on the eyes and I've had a bit of a fibro flare up this week (stress and a combination of too much walking and then long periods sitting around)so all I have been doing in the evening is falling asleep on the sofa.

I became a bit doubtful about the Jaywalkers in the sports weight Lorna's Laces - it's the first time I've made socks in such a thick yarn. Was worried that they would turn out too big so I started another pair in a gorgeous yarn from Over The rainbow Yarns.



Actually it doesn't seem to be much smaller but the feel of the finished product (seems weird to call it drape in a sock) is better, in my opinion.



The new ebony dpns from Lantern Moon are gorgeous to use and I love the effect the chevron pattern has on the handpaint yarn.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fab garden shots. Looks beautifully lush. Shame it feels like autumn !
I just bought some Lantern Moon 2.25mm dps. They're gorgeous to work with.

Terri said...

Your garden is so beautiful. My eternally brown thumb makes me envious. Also, I love the Over the Rainbow yarn. It is really a cool color.

Anonymous said...

Both sock yarns look great and I love the Lantern Moons!They look as if they would be great to work with
Your Secret Pal

Anonymous said...

Hi from Austria! Thanks you so much for sharing those gorgeous nature photos - here it's been cold and rainy and grey for days, so I have to take every chance to get to see beautiful colors, even if it's only on photos!:)
I just finished my Jaywalkers in a similarly thick yarn, almost sports weight-like - and as you noticed, it might not be much bigger than the Jays with a "normal" sock yarn, but the feel to the skin is not the best. I still love the beginning of yours and think you should definitely go on finishing them!