Sunday, August 13, 2006

Mist and mellow fruitfulness and woolen sweaters



I was woken up this morning by the sound of rain lashing against the bedroom window and our crab apple tree in the front garden thrashing about in a fairly hefty wind. I snuggled down under the duvet again for a while and my thoughts turned to Autumn and sweaters and socks.

Autumn is my favourite season. I always feel it is the true start of my year - New Year should be in September, not January. I guess it's to do with having been tied to the academic year for much of my life. Nora Ephron captures it perfectly for me in You've Got Mail. Don't you love New York in the fall? It makes me want to buy school supplies. I would send you a bouquet of newly-sharpened pencils if I knew your name and address.

Autumn:

new school shoes
plums and russet apples
boots and long skirts
lie ins with a latte
a new academic diary
the promise of the first page of an exercise book
thinking about reds in my hair again
picking blackberries out on the moors and bringing them home to make pies
the imagery of halloween
drying and pressing leaves
drives out with hats and coats in the back of the car and a picnic of coffee and fruit cake
pumpkin soup
woolies
planning our October holiday

No comments: