Monday, August 28, 2006

Out on the wiley, windy moors

Making the most of the last weekend before I go back to work on Tuesday.
(Next week is an acclimatisation programme: no children. First I'll get used to my office again, then venture out to the classrooms to find some colleagues... and it's just occurred to me that I didn't ask the site supervisor to water the plants so I guess there'll be a lot of leaf picking to do. I'll warn J to clear out some space for a horticultural Intensive Care Unit.)

We drove out across the moors, through Rosedale, Glaisdale, Commondale and a call in at the Moors centre in Danby for refreshments. Although it was still warm and sunny it gets very windy up there and the temperatures can vary enormously.







Although the road is high, we climbed a hill to get a better view down into the valley. The path we followed led into an abandoned quarry. Abandoned, but not unused. I heard a strange droning. Bees! It was full of hives and clouds of bees. I bet the owner produces fantastic heather honey! The views from the top were worth it though.



There are always lots of sheep around. Passed a sign that said 'Please drive carefully. 150 sheep killed on the road last year.'
Further into Rosedale a shepherd was gathering the sheep for shearing using a pair of dogs. It's amazing to watch, but we were blocking the road so J had to move on before I could get pictures.



The North York Moors were first worked by Neolithic man. And man has continued to make his mark since. The moors are full of these standing stones and, later, stone crosses.



A happy man with a fairy cake at the Danby Moors Center. 'It's a very manly fairy cake!' said the girl who brought our tea. She'll go far in customer relations.



If I have a nose for tearooms and coffee shops, J can sniff out a garden miles away. He found this steeply terraced herb garden behind the Moors Centre.



We watched rain moving across the dales. Very Wuthering Heights! It caught up with us eventually and the temperature dropped from 20 degrees to 14 degrees.



Finally headed back down towards the road into Teesside for dinner.

6 comments:

ravelling said...

Join the club! I had a thing about burial mounds and riuned abbeys etc. (Still do, truth be told)

rho said...

Is the heather wild -- the reason I ask - I picked some here once and made the most incredible wreath for my door that people commented on for years -- it was a bit of work but oh so worth it.

I am enjoying your pictures so much- thanks

ravelling said...

That sounds lovely Rho. The heather is wild and there's lots of it. I think this calls for another run out.

Terri said...

I think you have one of the one most well rounded blogs I have seen. You are a fantastic knitter for sure, and your photos of your garden are inspiring.

sarah said...

I love the last photo. So perfectly balanced.The colours are just inspirational. Its at times like this I wish I was an artist!
Love your blog.

ravelling said...

Thank you!