Thursday, August 31, 2006

I've got those...

...back to work blues.

Oh, yes. Have only been back to work for a couple of hours a day for two days and the insomnia is back already! Well, it's not insomnia really, I have no problem getting to sleep. I just don't sleep very deeply, am plagued by bizarre dreams and wake early.



Then my brain switches on. J calls it 'motorway brain'. My thoughts race round and round, leaping from one thing to another and any diversion towards work is fatal. It's the nature of the beast I guess. Leading a school isn't the kind of work you can leave on the bench overnight, unfortunately. Or maybe it is and I'm not doing it right. I get caught up in the issues, problems and intricacies of the 400 or so lives that are tied in with mine through our school community. I'm not the only one. We're still in the holidays but the building is full of my colleagues, working. I'm very fortunate to be surrounded by people who care so much.

What we need to work on this year is looking after ourselves a bit better. We had a lot of sickness and stress last year. This year needs to be different. But how?

While at home, avoiding thinking about work I have been working on a felted tote bag in Noro Kureyon. I'm using this pattern, but my gauge didn't work out as planned so it's got 4 squares along the base and each side square is cast on with 32 stitches. I'm onto the side gussets at the moment. It's been a quick and satisfying knit and I'm looking forward to the felting bit.
This is the colourway I'm using.



I bought it to make a vest or sweater, but have decided that I need to face up to the fact that, no matter how much I like them, sludgey colours do not suit me, so a bag it is.

Cheering me up in the kitchen is this:



We read, recently, that spring comes earlier and the seasons are moving around, but this amaryllis has got it's body clock total off kilter.

No comments: